Thursday, December 29, 2011

Hell Hath Frozen Over


Rock's most flamboyant and hilariously lovable frontman/asshole,
rockin' Diamond David Lee
 David Lee Roth returns to Van Halen and a new album and tour are planned.

That's something I never expected to see. Kind of like Roger Waters and David Gilmour hugging it up on stage.


The classic '80's lineup of Van Halen was most amusing to me. Not only was Eddie Van Halen changing electric guitar playing with his innovative virtuosity, but drummer Alex had a most distinctive and influential sound (sampled on Funky Cold Medina) and bassist Michael Anthony had a better voice than any of VH's frontmen. As much as Eddie's chops made my head swim and our fingers seem useless, it was David Lee as comic sexgod ringmaster who kept me in stitches.

Roth reveled in his reckless rock star lifestyle while counterbalancing it with strenuous workouts and martial arts. Eddie probably felt a little jealous of Roth's magnetism, plus, I can't imagine David Lee is an easy guy to work with, but it was clear to everybody who was bringing what to the table.

When asked about tension in the band, Roth told Musician magazine: "There's tension between me and the bus driver. We're not traveling at ground speed."

Or other quotable quotes:
"I used to jog but the ice-cubes kept falling out of my glass."

'Whatever guy said that money doesn't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping."

"I was with a girl not terribly long ago and she said "Mr. Roth, I think you’re the oldest person I've ever been with." I said "Honey I was gonna say the same thing to you."

"The world's a stage, and I want the brightest spot."


Let's hope Eddie and DLR can keep things in perpective: Eddie brings the talent and Roth brings the entertainment and big fun.

And hopefully more hilarious quotes.

No comments: