Wednesday, December 14, 2011

As the Crow Flies



Call it something spiritual.

Oh no. He used that word. Let the arguments ensue.

I see that spiritual life, in any unconventional form, brings up the same sceptical attitudes over and again.

Spiritualism is not simply a question of rules, regulations, morality, ethics and the appropriate punishment for violation of such. Spiritualism is very different from religion. Spiritualism is what you do to commune with yourself and the world, both seen and unseen.

Morality doesn't enter my mind when I watch crows circle in a cloudy sky. Down near 53rd street, crows have been gathering on this one tall tree by the river. If you just pause and watch, something changes in you. You begin to sense something. I don't athropromorphize the crows. I don't judge them, I just watch. It's beautiful. It's spiritual to me.

Of course, this suspicious behavior brings out neighbors who want to know what this crazy man is doing. "Watching crows," I said to the lady, who came out to see what was going on, before she could mouth the question that was already on her face.

Why? Why would anyone stop and watch some stupid birds?

I'm surprised the police didn't show up.

No comments: