Friday, June 22, 2007

To Define Sexy

from the film Venus:
Maurice: For most men, a woman's body is the most beautiful thing they will ever see.
An actual convo:
"That's sexy."
"What?"
"That's sexy."
"You call a computer sexy?"
"Yeah."
"Dude, there's something wrong with you."

As if the Eclectic Wife is telling me anything new. I think we need to redefine what sexy means. Sexy means more than a quality which makes you want to do the horizontal mambo. What passes for sexy (think Britney) in the media has become a model of raunchiness.

  • iPods are sexy. Anything that can store a million songs and movies is sexy. Besides, the design is so sleek, it's like the closest I'm ever going to get to, say, the sleekness of a foreign car. Or an Italian girl for that matter.
  • Guitars are sexy. Paul Richards is selling his guitar. Pictures of it are basically so attractive that anyone with an artistic eye can see that it's sexy.
  • Apple computers. We have a Dell and although it's really working well, it has no personality. It lacks grace.

  • Sushi. As I sink into old fartdom, I realize how I used to gobble my food like a starving dog; hardly pausing to taste it. Now, I pause to relish every bite. Sushi is sexy.

  • Rosemarie Dewitt. Come on, who am I trying to kid?? You can keep your trashy 'slebs. I'm waiting on her callback.

No comments: