Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Running From Office

Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us.
~E. T. Bell



Last night I attended a small gathering at the local sports bar (The term never made sense to me. Oxymoron, anyone?) to lend support to an old high school buddy of mine who is running for Kanawha County Commissioner. Now, I've always consider my friend to have politician in his blood. He knows everybody and has an uncanny ability to talk to anyone. I expected this years ago, but now is the time I suppose.


Running for office, divorce and mortgages: yes, this is middle age. Well, a little past the middle. As my friend Charlie's son said, "Middle age? Well, dad, you're being optimistic." Looking around at my fellow Charleston High grads last night, I wondered a few things.


What the hell has happened?


Former football stars now bald, gray, out of shape. Goddess cheerleaders now looking thin, but old, old, old.

Old fights, old wounds-all forgotten. "Old men forget yet all shall be forgot," saith the Bard. Damn if he wasn't right about everything.

So...go forth Andrew and win this upcoming battle. You have my support.

No comments: